[theora] Does XiphQT plugin work in Safari?

Werner Randelshofer werner.randelshofer at bluewin.ch
Sun Jul 19 01:07:19 PDT 2009

On 18.07.2009, at 19:13, Christopher Blizzard wrote:
> If you try it without the type="video/ogg" does it work?  If so I
> _think_ this is a known bad interaction between the mime type
> mappings of the XiphQT plugin and how WebKit gets its mappings for
> video support.  I believe that it's fixed by hard coding some mime
> types in the WebKit nightlies which means it will likely be fixed in
> a later Safari release.

That's it. When i remove the type attribute, it works fine in Safari.

WebKit nightly works fine with and without the type attribute - just
like Firefox. Awesome. 8)

On 18.07.2009, at 19:35, Michael Dale wrote:
> Which means we presently have no way to predictably send ogg-theora
> content to safari users.
>
> Which will result in recommending Firefox to Safari users for the
> time being:
> http://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/foundation-l/2009-July/
> 052993.html

This is a very informative recommendation.

Unfortunately, the proposed soft link does not appear in Safari when I
open the testpage without
having XiphQT installed. The video just does not play. :(

http://metavid.org/wiki/File:FolgersCoffe_512kb.1496.ogv

The soft link works fine with IE though.

And - of course - with XipQT installed, the video works perfectly fine
in Safari.

On a sidenote, I wonder why the Cortado applet is signed on the sample
page?
If it wasn't signed, the security dialog would not appear when the
applet starts.
In my opinion, this would greatly improve the user experience.

Thank you very much,
Werner