[theora] less change, lower bandwidth demands

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Jul 13 21:42:51 PDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 12:30 PM, shirish<shirishag75 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am helping a group of people to get some uncompressed .avi's
> transcoded/encoded to .ogg theora.
>
> I was just reading something about the .flv format (the one which is
> used in youtube)
>
> "In .flv files the less change there is, the lower the bandwidth
> demands & vice-versa"
>
> Now if I know that my videos do not have much moving elements can I
> get similar bandwidth savings in theora ?

Yes; this is the basis of variable bit rate coding (VBR).  In VBR, the
codec attempts to hold the visual quality constant and use only as
many bits as are needed to do so.  Therefore, less complex scenes,
especially scenes with less motion, require a lower rate.

Theora is natively a VBR codec (in fact, most modern codecs are
natively VBR and constant-rate modes are built on top).

Monty