[theora] Indexing Ogg files for faster seeking

Chris Pearce chris at pearce.org.nz
Tue Dec 1 14:04:28 PST 2009

Just an update on my recent progress on Ogg indexing...

I've updated my indexer [ http://github.com/cpearce/OggIndex ] so that
the master branch now injects keyframe indexes into a Skeleton 3.1 track
(rather than an index track...). I've also added an index validator to
that repository, so that anyone can verify that the presentation time
reported by the keypoints in the indexes are actually correct. This
means if anyone wants to write tools to mess with indexes, they can
immediately know if the indexes being output are valid.

I've also had some patches committed to ffmpeg2theora svn, so that it
now outputs valid indexes. Keypoints were previously incorrect in a few
edge cases, and didn't take into account the preroll needed for vorbis.

We're planning on shipping support for keyframe index assisted seek in
Firefox 3.7, which will ship sometime next year.

Chris P.