[theora] Seamless web video within reach

Denver Gingerich denver at ossguy.com
Mon Aug 3 21:24:14 PDT 2009

2009/8/3 Cristian Adam <cristian.adam at gmail.com>:
> Denver Gingerich wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 6:38 PM, Gregory Maxwell<gmaxwell at gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Perhaps. But that means a warning.
>>>
>>> My own view is that the warning is a complete non-starter. Computer
>>> professionals spend a lot of time telling users to click NO to those
>>> warnings.
>>
>> I was under the impression that a CA-signed applet wouldn't require
>> user interaction, but I guess I'm wrong (can others confirm?).  That
>> does make my solution a little less easy to use for web designers.
>>

> I have tested the http://theora.org/cortado.jar and the same jar file
> signed with my Certum code signing key and both of them present a
> user confirmation dialog.
>
> Here is a screenshot with both of the confirmation dialogs:
> http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/546ca2ef88.png

I have re-hosted this at the following URL:

http://ossguy.com/theora/cortado_signature_compare.png

Free Image Hosting seemed a bit slow and unreliable for me so I
figured I'd make it available at a (hopefully) more reliable source.
I hope this is ok.

> The second dialog doesn't have red and yellow colors and the check box
> "Always trust content from this publisher" is checked and the focus is set
> to the Run button instead of Cancel button.

This is very good UX; probably the best we can hope for.  Thanks for
trying this out.

I'll reply with some additional comments in the near future.

Denver
http://ossguy.com/