[theora] Seamless web video within reach

Cristian Adam cristian.adam at gmail.com
Mon Aug 3 16:37:05 PDT 2009

Denver Gingerich wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 6:38 PM, Gregory Maxwell<gmaxwell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 6:25 PM, Denver Gingerich<denver at ossguy.com> wrote:
>>> Ok, fair enough.  But to keep the simplicity of the solution I
>>> described (<video> plus JavaScript include), we'll need it hosted on
>>> some central FQDN that designers (through mv_embed) can refer to.  So
>>> we will need the Cortado applet to be CA-signed.
>> Perhaps. But that means a warning.
>>
>> My own view is that the warning is a complete non-starter. Computer
>> professionals spend a lot of time telling users to click NO to those
>> warnings.
>
> I was under the impression that a CA-signed applet wouldn't require
> user interaction, but I guess I'm wrong (can others confirm?).  That
> does make my solution a little less easy to use for web designers.

I have tested the http://theora.org/cortado.jar and the same jar file
signed with my Certum code signing key and both of them present a
user confirmation dialog.

Here is a screenshot with both of the confirmation dialogs:
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/546ca2ef88.png

The second dialog doesn't have red and yellow colors and the check box
"Always trust content from this publisher" is checked and the focus is
set to the Run button instead of Cancel button.

Cheers,
Cristian.