[theora] Poor encoding quality with etheora and aspect ratio problem

Ribamar Santarosa de Sousa ribamar.santarosa at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 23:00:02 PDT 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 6:51 PM, Nils Pipenbrinck
<n.pipenbrinck at cubic.org> wrote:
> Just a suggestion...
>
>  Since there is no hard standard to speak about YUV sub-formats (so much
>  different flavours out there).
>
>  Couldn't we all just  agree to speak in the MPEG-slang? E.g. use YUV422
>  instead of YV12.

Nils,

 ( I must admit I'm sometimes confused with so many yuv formats, but I
believe YUV422 can't be YV12,  and YV12 is a kind of YUV420).

Well, even though YV12 came around in this thread by an output from
mplayer, libtheora really doesn't seem to care much about so many YUV
formats, and in the Theora specification and  libtheora code we
usually find YUV 420, 444 or 422. If this is a call for everybody (and
not only the theora community) stop using that terminology, in my
opinion it's impossible, because sometimes it's really necessary to
differ subformats for an YUV422 or YUV420 format being a group of
subformats and not determining how the data is stored.

Regards,
Ribamar