[theora] Portable Theora Player

Nils Pipenbrinck n.pipenbrinck at cubic.org
Tue Jun 10 15:57:02 PDT 2008

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves schrieb:
> Er, no. Even though Theora is quite less CPU intensive than most
> video formats out there, which would make it ideal for the portable
> market the adoption rate has been unfortunately small.

Nothing promised, but a port of the decoder for the Texas Instruments
DaVinci platform is on my personal todo-list. All I need is a device to
code on at home (I have a bunch of them at work, but well - at work I
don't do hobby-projects).

If I get my hand on a device and get my a** down to finish the decoder
port we would have an open source plug-and play decoder for DaVinci and
as a side-product a decoder for the new TI Omap3 platform as well.

I've ported the recon stuff for fun one day, and I got
performance-figures of 0.25 cycles per pixel using the DSP.And don't get
me started on the IDCT performance.. DSP's are made for this task. That
will be a hell of a decoder.

Anyway, there are quite a few portable devices comming up with these
chips, and the availability of a free decoder may make a differnce.

  Nils