[theora] Portable Theora Player

Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves justivo at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 15:56:51 PDT 2008

On 6/10/08, John Abreau <jabr at blu.org> wrote:
> I would imagine devices like the Nokia 810 should be able to play
> Theora videos.

If you can install the respective gstreamer plugin, you should be able
to play Theora videos in most Linux smartphones.  I'm not aware of any
that ship with native support, gstreamer or not.

On 6/10/08, Bram Neijt <bneijt at gmail.com> wrote:
>   - An iPod with linux on it (I have no idea wether this is already
> done)

There is indeed a Linux on iPod project, but it's incredibly slow and
very likely won't be able to play Theora decently.

>   - The opensource game console, GP2X: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X

Ah, this is one I had forgotten.  I have a friend who has all his
(Vorbis) music collection in it.  I should ask him if he ever tried to
play Theora in it.  Small-res videos should in theory work just fine.

>   - A full blown thing like the Nokia Internet Tablet (N800)

Expensive, and it's from Nokia who apparently dislikes Theora with no
basis other than "we invested too much in 3GPP you goddamn hippies!".

>   - An Eee PC?

They work well, so do the XO from the OLPC project (I have one of
these).  However, Jason wasn't looking for laptops, I think.

-Ivo