[theora] Theora 1.0beta1 released

Jim Darby jim at jimbocorp.uklinux.net
Sat Sep 22 16:03:39 PDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-22 at 19:50 +0200, Maik Merten wrote:

> today I have the great pleasure of announcing Theora 1.0 beta1.

And I have the great pleasure of running it.

I tried it as a drop-in replacement for the system-provided library on
my Mandriva Linux system.

With no recompilation of mplayer, just using the existing binary and the
new library I've noticed a very interesting difference. It plays fast
enough for real-time on an AMD Duron 850!

This is video material encoded 720 by 576 25 fps with default options on
ffmpeg2theora. The output would not play on the Duron 850 before and now
it's fine. This is a most excellent result!

Well done to everyone for their hard work on this release.

Jim.