[theora] FOSS Codecs for Online Video: Usability, Uptake and Development - First Draft

anna at engagemedia.org anna at engagemedia.org
Tue Sep 18 01:03:19 PDT 2007

Dear Theora/Xiph folk,
*
FOSS Codecs for Online Video: Usability, Uptake and Development - First
Draft*
A review of available tools for the creation, playback and embedding of
online video using Free and Open Source Software video codecs and a look
at the most pressing areas for development to enhance their adoption by
social change video projects on the web.
http://wiki.transmission.cc/index.php/FOSS_Codecs_For_Online_Video:_Usability%2C_Uptake_and_Development

I have been writing this report into FOSS Video Codecs for the last few
months for the Transmission network of online video projects for social
change.
http://transmission.cc

A version in PDF (see below) is also available for reading offline here:
http://www.engagemedia.org/Members/anna/FOSS_Codecs_For_Online_Video_1_1.pdf

I would rather have feedback into a second draft from the Transmission
network before distributing the report too widely, to ensure the report
benefits from all our knowledge and reflects the needs of the network.
But I thought people on this list might like to take a look at the draft
and let me know what is missing or pitch in with some different
opinions. It is a set of practical recommendations for projects within
our network and beyond, rather than an academic report.

The recommendations cover codecs and containers, player and transcoding
software, server-side transcoding, embedded playback, support of FOSS
codecs in popular CMSs and the development of a transcoder/uploader client.

The report PDF has some formatting errors and I'd prefer to distribute
it in an open format - but I can't find a good solution for exporting
from MediaWiki - please let me know if anyone has any ideas on this.

Cheers,
Anna

http://EngageMedia.org
http://Plumi.org