[theora] W3C Video on the Web Workshop

Michael Dale dale at ucsc.edu
Mon Nov 19 21:28:51 PST 2007

here is my position paper its pretty general and short... I don't plan
on focusing on technology specifics more focusing on the need for freely
implementable container formats and codecs. I am interested in
doing/demoing closed captioning in annodex/cmml. But nothing fancy just
using what Silvia recently added to the CMML spec: ... Silvia is also
planning on attending the W3 video on the web workshop.
http://trac.annodex.net/browser/standards/draft-pfeiffer-cmml-current.xml
(Just search for "caption" - there is an example at the end of the file
that explains how it should all work.)

Position paper for Video on the Web Workshop

by Michael Dale,
Metavid.org & member of Annodex.net

*Strategic thinking*
Critical to making video a first class citizen on the web is extending
the properties of other first class citizens like text and images as
they apply to video. These properties should include:
* Standardization around a freely implementable format. So both
proprietary and free browsers can support playback and (eventually)
encoding without licensing costs.
* A standard open format for search engines and web services to access
video metadata such as close captions, tags, chapter info etc.
* Standard ways of transclusion/reference/embedding of video
content.
* Use of existing http protocols for access and retrieval of video content.

*User Experience*
Critical to strong user experience is powerful standards based api for
web services to build on.  The whatwg group has made good progress on
defining this api. http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#video

The metavid project has modeled an online user experience with online
web video using all Free and Open source software(FOSS) technologies.
The experience is distinct from the more common proprietary flash video
services. Metavid has been archiving public domain house and senate
footage and making it available in a free and open web platform. All the
video is encoded with ogg theora video codec. All the metadata is
encoded to CMML an open standard for continues video markup. Arbitrary
segments of the video streams are available for download or in-browser
playback via mod_annodex a server side script for dynamically splitting
ogg theora clips. Client side playback is handled via oggplay, java
crotado, mplayer plugin, totem, vlc plugin or natively supported by the
soon to be released Firefox3 and Opera web browser. Scripts such as
mv_embed transparently handle the selection of whatever client side
playback method is available.

*Video Production*
Metavid is close to releasing a mediaWiki extension that will allow
groups of participants to collaborate in creating close captions and
metadata annotations for video streams. These captions will be made
available via CMML feeds and or be muxed into the ogg container via
annodex. They will serve both as a search index into the video and text
for the hearing impaired. Web interfaces can make this CMML text content
visible.
Additionally the metavid Wiki extension includes basic video
sequencing/editing. Critical to decentralized online video editors will
be wide support for a common transclusion video request system.  This
allows online services to reference video segments across distinct web
services and hosting environments while preserving the associative
metadata.

The metavid project creates one possible interface for collaborative
video usage online enabled by and implemented as an entirely FOSS system.

*Web Architecture*
The existing http protocol is functional for video distribution and fits
into the exiting web infrastructure. Most video content should be
downloadable and unencumbered by proprietary container or formats. This
will helps facilitate mashups, reuse and fully realize the potential of
online video. Critical to wide adoption of any proposed standards is
inclusion of free software implementations. Specifically the audio/video
codec and container must be freely implementable.  The should W3C seek
to standardize around the best open formats available at the time of
standardization. The xiph ogg container and set of audio/video codecs
are ideal.

peace,
michael