[theora] mplayer + libtheora on a PS3

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Fri May 11 01:22:44 PDT 2007

> On Thu, May 10, 2007 at 04:31:11PM +0200, Daniel Brännvall wrote:
>> I'm trying to get mplayer and theora to work nicely on a PS3,
>> preferrably without making stuff use the SPEs. It plays mpeg4 just
>> fine using only the PPE, but with theora (or theora-oil), the machine
>> is too slow. Anyone have any experience of this or any ideas?

> Does the PPE have altivec? That might be part of the difference.

AFAIK the PPE does have Altivec.

BTW what's the state of GCC for Cell?  Can it schedule instructions for
the stripped-down Power-PC architecture of PPE?  Power-PC G5 code will
not run optimally on a Cell.  Did you try to tune GCC command-line
options?

BTW what about the video output?  You have to do use mplayer's software
scaler for full-screen video?  How is that impacting performance?

...just wondering about the state of PS3 Linux.  I'm somewhat
considering myself buying a PS3 as desktop computer replacement.

BTW how does ffmpeg's ffplay perform on theora playback?  It uses its
own theora decoder that should be more efficient than libtheora (mplayer
couldn't use ffmpeg's theora-decoder for some time, maybe it can now?)

regards,

David