[theora] XiphQT Installer for Microsoft Windows Created

Charles Iliya Krempeaux supercanadian at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 11:23:48 PDT 2007

Hey Ivo,

On 8/24/07, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves <justivo at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/24/07, Charles Iliya Krempeaux <supercanadian at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Just a thought... is it possible to have the installer register all
> > the Ogg MIME types and extensions for QuickTime, so that it plays
> > using XiphQT?
> >
> > (Also... anyone know what kind of work it would take to register the
> > Ogg MIME types in Firefox for QuickTime too, so that it plays using
> > XiphQT?)
>
> I do not know enough about QuickTime (or Windows) to know what
> registry keys the installer should create and/or change.  If you find
> out what are the registry keys involved, post that info on the list,
> and I'll try to get it working.
>
> -Ivo

Does this give you enough info?

Here's something from http://www.kbcafe.com/rss/usm.html ...  it's for
RSS, but should give us some insight...

------- BEGIN -------
 Windows Registry

The following Registry entries are used to associated the
application/rss+xml Content-Type to the .rss file extension and the
.rss file extension to your application. You can override various sets
of these Registry entries to implement USM. The HKEY_CURRENT_USER
entries will override the HKEY_CLASSES entries to allow for user
preferences.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.rss\OpenWithProgids
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.rss\shell\open\command
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.rss
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\rssfile\shell\open\command

This also seem to give some insight too...

http://www.peterprovost.org/archive/2004/10/22/2003.aspx

For some examples... In my registry, under...

  HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\video/quicktime

... I see 3 entries...

Name: "(Default)"
Type: "REG_SZ"