[theora] This is a sad day for interoperability in the Web

Maik Merten maikmerten at gmx.net
Tue Aug 21 09:02:28 PDT 2007

Anybody surprised?

A money making machine like Adobe couldn't care less to shift some money
to MPEG-LA. I guess they just wanted to have something to counter the
VC-1 powered Silverlight threat. As a nice side effect (from their
perspective) they put another burden on any competitors that try to
implement Flash.

Flash is proprietary and closed and it'll stay that way, no matter if
they ship additional codecs with it or not. From a free software
perspective Flash always was and will always be an uninhabitable
wasteland. It's time to move on and see if we can support open alternatives.

So instead of mourning over Flash let's e.g. look at what Chris Double
is doing with open standards and formats... SVG, HTML and Ogg:

http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/2007/08/svg-video-demo.html

Cool stuff.

Maik Merten