[theora] Extension .v+ogg does work

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Tue Oct 24 12:07:15 PDT 2006

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 11:30:59AM -0700, Charles Iliya Krempeaux wrote:

> (Assuming there is one....)  What's the argument against also registering
> MIME types like "video/ogg" and "audio/ogg" (instead of just giving
> everything a "application/ogg" extension)?

I'm not sure what the argument is there, other than mime types are hard
to get registered, and this is a general problem with container file
types that should be solved generally.

Nautilus uses audio/x-vorbis+ogg and video/x-theora+ogg internally, in
analogy with things like application/rss+xml. Do you know if the '+'
thing is a real proposal or just an experimental convention? Konqueror
does something similar.

For the particular problem of automatic player choice, something like
the RSS content dispotion hinting proposal is probably a better match,
where your media type becomes "application/ogg; disposition-type=sound"
or "application/ogg; disposition-type=moving-image". The types are
drawn from the Dublic Core set instead of MIME.

  http://www.advogato.org/article/852.html

 -r