[theora] Extension .v+ogg does work

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Tue Oct 24 11:21:42 PDT 2006

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 10:32:12AM +0100, Ivo Emanuel Gonçalves wrote:

> Oh, and sorry for having brought this up.  Was just trying to help,
> but yeah, it wasn't needed or well planned.  I'll be shutting up now.

'S ok, it's an easy mistake to make if you haven't lived through past
incarnations of the argument. We really do appreciate your help.

If it helps, the issues go something of like this:

Some people want to use different applications for audio and video
playback. On windows in particular, this decision is by default
made based on the file extension, rather than a more reliable
file magic check or the internet media type when it's from a remote
server. So they want different extensions to mark audio and video files.

Coming from a unix background, the core xiph developers believe that
while file extensions are a nice shorthand, but you should be able
to name your files whatever you want and have things still work. So
we want to encourage applications to be more sophisticated about file
identification of container formats like Ogg.

Implicit in this is that we'd be fine with an optional extension. But if
the goal of having a separate extension is so files and streams coming
from the network go to the correct player, then the extension really
isn't optional. If most people don't use it, it won't reliably serve to
distinguish between the desired players.

So while we're fine with an optional extension, the choice is between
recomending one, or recomending two or more distinct extensions. In
this we're guided by one of Xiph's design principles: don't make it
harder to make good software. If the extension can be wrong, you have
to look in the file anyway, so making the extension match the file
contents is just another thing that has to be implemented properly on
top of what's already required.

That why, when people ask, we recommend just .ogg as a file extension.

FWIW,
 -r