[theora] inside matroska

xiphmont at xiph.org xiphmont at xiph.org
Mon Oct 23 13:50:24 PDT 2006

On 10/23/06, Hannes Hauswedell <hannes.hauswedell at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi everyone !
> since nobody answered the question in the extension-thread, i would
> like to ask again in a new thread:
> why does xiph and the theora-team not promote the matroska-format?
> do you just prefer ogg because its "home-made" or are there technical
> advantages over mkv?

They're different things... We don't actively promote Mastroska in the
same way we don't actively promote the FSF or Linux or Free Love or
legalization of marijuana.  Although they might be good ideas and
might be looked favorably upon or used extensively  by members of the
group it's a different thing...

Mastroska is out to build a super-DVD-like container and we're
interested in streaming technologies.  They're complementary concepts,
but not the same.  Also, we're happy Mastroska uses Vorbis, but
because they also use and encourage licensed formats (like DiVX) we
can't spend too much energy blowing their horn for them.

That shouldn't be construed as opposition (or even apathy).

Monty