[theora] inside matroska

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Mon Oct 23 13:02:01 PDT 2006

On Mon, Oct 23, 2006 at 09:33:18PM +0200, Hannes Hauswedell wrote:

> why does xiph and the theora-team not promote the matroska-format?
> do you just prefer ogg because its "home-made" or are there technical
> advantages over mkv?

Yes. Ogg has a very different design goal. It can be written and read as
a stream while matroska is designed more for nonlinear access. We've
traditionally been more interested in streaming than file editing.

There's a "home-made" effect on both sides too, I think. We never
understood what the matroska developers were trying to do, and I don't
think they understood want we were doing with ogg.

That said, we think it's far more important that people use free codecs
regardless of the container it's in, so if you're using matroska, please
do use theora with it. :)

 -r