[theora] Can I recommend theora to my readers yet? Please?

Charles Iliya Krempeaux supercanadian at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 09:52:14 PDT 2006

Hello,

On 6/23/06, Thomas Boutell <boutell at boutell.com> wrote:
[...]

I'd sure like to recommend Ogg instead

[...]

But to recommend Ogg, I've got to be able to tell folks:

> * How their Windows users can easily get a working Theora/Vorbis player...

VLC supports the playing of Ogg Theora.

http://getvlc.com/

Where I live, most people seem to use it.

The only thing is that the VLC browser plug-in is NOT installed by default
(when you install VLC).  You have to "check a box" if you want VLC to also
install the browser plug-in.

* Embedded in Internet Explorer, Firefox or Safari...
> * On Windows, Linux or MacOS X (as appropriate, with both
>    IE and Firefox being critical on Windows).
>
> Unfortunately, as near as I can tell, that's not possible yet.
> Or am I mistaken?

Today AFAICT, the best path for cross-platform and cross-browser Ogg Theora
support is via VLC.

That's what I've been suggesting that everyone install in my question to get
Ogg Theora supported more
broadly<http://maketelevision.com/log/why_ogg_theora_matters_for_internet_tv>
.

See ya

To be clear, I understand that Theora is the video codec,

--
    Charles Iliya Krempeaux, B.Sc.

    charles @ reptile.ca
    supercanadian @ gmail.com