[Theora] Stream Test (again)

illiminable ogg at illiminable.com
Tue Apr 25 23:58:17 PDT 2006

I just had another play with it... and i'm seeing similar jumpiness. There
is a few reasons this can happen... firstly the file is not valid in some
way... my filters in general don't like invalid files... vlc on the other
hand seems to play just about anything no matter how bad it is. The other
reason this often happens is that you don't have enough bandwidth... you
typically need 1.5-2 times the average bitrate, my filters also don't cope
very well with buffer starvation. Since it works ok in other players the
second is not the likely culprit.

I jsut downloaded a 2 megabyte chunk of the stream to check the validity of
the file... and there are a few things wrong with it. It's not a valid
stream, i'm suprised oggz-validate didn't pick it up... here's what i
found...

1) There are data packets in the same pages as header packets. This isn't
allowed. The second theora header page also has 2 data packets in it and the
second vorbis page has 18 data packets in it. You need to flush pages after
the headers. No data can be on the same page as a aheader, and all headers
in all streams must appear before any data in any stream.
2) Pages consisting only of header packets must have granule pos zero.
Because there are data packets on them, they have non-zero granule pos.
3) Continuation flags where there are no previously truncated packets
-- The second theora page has 2 header + 2 data packets, the last packet on
that page is not truncated (or it's last segment would be 255), the next
theora page has the continuation flag set, and actually does appear so to
have stray piece of packet at the start. Although not really correct most
players will just drop that extra little bit of packet as erroneous anyway.

I didn't check the page ordering, since oggz-validate is usually pretty good
at catching that, so i assume that's ok.

The other issue it looks like it has is the coarse muxing problem. This
typically happens in cases where the video is very easy to compress (very
often low motion or all black screens). Basically what happens is too much
times worth of data gets inside one page, requiring many many packets/pages
to be buffered.

For example consider this situation... 15fps, and you have a low motion
chunk of video, such that you manage to fit 75 packets into one theora page.
This is 5 seconds worth of video. What happens now, is since this page has a
stream time of 5 seconds, Because of this 5 seconds wroth of vorbis pages
appear in the stream before the the stream even finds the very first video
packet.

Since directshow uses a fixed amount of buffers on each segment of the
stream, when one stream fills all those buffers no more data can be pushed
through since the renderers are waiting for data on the other stream that
hasn't arrived yet... so it waits for a while, decides it's not coming,
drops some packets and then gets back into the same situation again. In
general i already set this number very high, higher than what a well-muxed
file should reach. But certain files can still exceed this.

In general the mxuer should avoid this from happening by forcing page
flushes when some threshold of data is exceed rather than just keep cramming
data into one page. This also presents problems for low memory devices which
end up having to buffer up huge amounts of data just to find the next data
in one of the streams.

libogg does not have any automatic capability to do this, it always trys to
put ~4096 bytes in a page regardless of how much time that actually
represents. ffmpeg2theora i believe now does flushing to ensure you don't
get extremely coarse muxing. And basically you just need to call whatever
the flush page method is in libogg when you see too much data fitting into
one page.

This might be something you want to add to your code. In general you
probably don't want to have any 1 page containing more than about 2-3
seconds of data or about 50 packets.

Cheers,

PS
> Using Illuminable's DirectShow Filters: