[Theora] Stream Test (again)

Simon Blandford home at simonb.org.uk
Mon Apr 24 12:38:07 PDT 2006

Just tried four players in PCLinuxOS p0.92.

1) RealPlayer 10 - Starts & stops and freezes and breaks.
2) VLC 0.8.2 - Same story
3) Kaffeine 0.7.1 - Near-perfect! Just one breakage and it reconnected after
a few seconds. Hardy touching the CPU usuage too, less than 2% on Athlon-64
3500 dual core.
4) Mplayer - Maxed out the CPU and never started display. Just blank window.

There are definitely seems to be some issues with most of the Theroa players
out there now. I have never had much luck playing live OGG streams. The
streams seem very fragile and break at the first sign of congestion.
However, Kaffeine demonstrates that is _is_ possible.

Regards,
SimonB