[Theora] Stream Test

J.B. Nicholson-Owens jbn at forestfield.org
Thu Apr 6 16:43:38 PDT 2006

Robert Smith wrote:
> Seeing as other people are posting streams to test, the system I have
> been developing has an Ogg/Vorbis/Theora stream that you can watch.  I
> would appreciate any feedback to what players can play it and which
> players have problems.  (I am using Icecast as the streaming server)

Notes on playing the Ogg Vorbis+Theora stream (of course) follow.

On Fedora Core 5 GNU/Linux on i386 (actually, a dual-CPU machine: 2 500MHz
Pentium IIIs with 768MB RAM):

Helix Player: works fine and plays well for long periods of time (I can't
get it to stop playing well).

Totem: freezes after about a second (seemingly after playing what's in its
buffer, but I could be wrong here).  I see the first frame, but no other
frames of video.  I hear about 1 second of audio.

Xine: plays well like Helix Player.

mplayer: I had no problems with mplayer.

> So far I have found VideoLan plays the stream very well.

For me VLC froze after a while, but Helix Player keeps on playing.  There
are player-centric problems but they have nothing to do with your feed.

> Any input would be useful.

Hope this helps.