[Theora] Re: Why do you use Theora?

ChristianHJW christian at matroska.org
Mon Nov 28 14:02:36 PST 2005

Hi Monty, hi all,

thanks for the fair comparison, we are glad the two projects have
meanwhile found a good way of communication, based on mutual respect.
Vorbis is my favourite audio codec since a long time for most of my
private video compressions, and i guess it will stay that for a long time.

Good news : in next MKVtoolnix we plan to release Theora-in-MKV support
publically. Note that current matroska DShow splitter (Haali splitter)
has support for these files already since 2 releases, so once people can
make such files with mkvmerge they should play on most PCs without any
problems, if ffdshow-video or Illiminable's theora decoder filters are
installed. For VLC, support is planned to come soon.

Regards

Christian
matroska project admin
http://www.matroska.org