Compile trouble was Re: [Theora] Piping AVI to ffmpeg2theora

David Kuehling dvdkhlng at gmx.de
Mon Nov 7 13:53:30 PST 2005

> I guess ffmpeg2theora seeks through an AVI input, which would break
> down on a pipe. If seeking is necessary, then internally buffering the
> seekable input could be made to work.

well AFAIK it seeks to the very end to read the index.  quite some
buffer would be required to compensate for that :) maybe you can try to
disable reading the index on load (index is only required for seeking).
but still, AVI is just not designed for being streamed, I somewhat doubt
that this will work.

if pipes aren't absolutely necessary, I usually first transcode with
Mencoder aplying all necessary filtering (spp, cropping, scaling,
framerate adjust etc.) and make Mencoder store the result into an AVI
with _lossless_ compression (-lavcopts vcodec=ffvhuff:vstrict=-2; or try
vcodec=ffv1 for better compression).  Then I use ffmpeg2theora or
mplayer&encoder_example for encoding...

regards,

David