[Theora] Other extension for Ogg Theora then 'ogg'

Walter Vermeir walter.temp2005 at sol3.info
Tue May 10 10:19:24 PDT 2005

[cut]

> To me, the question isn't whether we need another extension, or what it's
> going to be or whether a billion users could be retrained to use one
> extension, etc..  But whether Xiph and Monty will finally face reality of
> the 95% world market and give in, and if not actively support it, at least
> accept it, acknowledge it, and not fight it.

That is it exactly. I think everybody would be very happy if there would
be a "official" statement in the name of "Ogg Theora" about this.

Like; the official extension of Ogg Theora is ".ogg".  If you for whatever
reason prefer to use a other extension for it the Ogg Theora developers
suggest to use ".ogv" *

And put this on the website. Now there is not even a message about the
fact that Ogg Vorbis and Ogg Theroa use the same extension and the
questions this raise.
http://www.theora.org/theorafaq.html

This way this everybody is happy. The extension remains ".ogg" but there
is a clear alternative if you like it.  And so the software can support
the that extension. I think doing this will be good for the success of Ogg
Theora.

Walter

--
(*) or a other, I personly think the from the two candidateds ".ogm" and
".ogv" ogv is best because it is not used like .ogm.