[Theora] Other extension for Ogg Theora then "ogg"

Borphee borphee at cebridge.net
Tue May 10 09:26:01 PDT 2005

From: "Alen Ladavac" <alenl-ml at croteam.com>

> People.... the idea is not to fight Linux vs. Windows war, but to agree on

You are probably refering to my comments.

I was actually trying to *avoid* a Linux vs. Windows discussion and was
trying to point out I was only replying to Monty's rather odd comments about
email viruses.  That it was logically flawed.

That it wasn't an OS debate or even an extension debate.  My reply was
directed solely towards Monty's comments about email viruses.

Obviously I failed miserably, otherwise you wouldn't have replied like that.
Oh well.  (And rereading my previous message... yup, I failed.)

I don't care if people use Linux.  I use windows because the programs I want
to run don't under Linux.  As I've told others, I intently hope this will be
my last Microsoft OS, and that by the time I'm ready to upgrade, the Linux
world will have progressed enough for me to make the switch.

But by the same point, since I don't use Linux, I don't care what does or
does not happen on it.  It has a very small segment of the world market, so
most people don't care and aren't going to care.

> proper extension for Ogg files that happen to contain video. The question
> is
> not whether we need such an extension, but what is it going to be. The
> fact

Actually, I'm not so sure that is the question...

In the past, Xiph and Monty have been **INTENTLY** against the idea of
another extension.  Even going so far as to *ban* any further discussion.

To me, the question isn't whether we need another extension, or what it's
going to be or whether a billion users could be retrained to use one
extension, etc..  But whether Xiph and Monty will finally face reality of
the 95% world market and give in, and if not actively support it, at least
accept it, acknowledge it, and not fight it.