[Theora] Other extension for Ogg Theora then "ogg"

Bram Neijt bneijt at gmail.com
Mon May 9 15:41:29 PDT 2005

On 5/9/05, Borphee <borphee at cebridge.net> wrote:
> After all, if you take "Nasty-Virus.exe" and rename it to "Nasty-Virus.jpg"
> and try to hide it as a picture, Windows won't know what to do with it
> precisely because it does usually believe the extension.
>
> If it was "smart" and looked inside (like what you and many others
> recommend), then that  "Nasty-Virus.jpg" would be recognized as an
> executable and be run, instead of being displayed as a broken picture.
Oooh, I can't let this one slide, sorry. A sane application would
mention it to the user if a file has a misleading extension which is
not in accordance with the MIME type. GNOME (or nautilus for that
matter) does this for me, and any file saying it's something else will
evoke a pop-up informing me about this threat.

Please try it before you discredit it,
  Bram

PS As mentioned, I don't want to get into this discussion, because I
perceive the whole 3 letter extension system a deprecated DOS
extension, as is Windows and thus any user of it ;-) (ooh, I know I'm
getting out of line on this one, no harm intended ). I'll just get out
of this discussion again...