[Theora] Other extension for Ogg Theora then "ogg"

illiminable ogg at illiminable.com
Sun May 8 08:19:31 PDT 2005

This is one of those contentious issues.

In fact a .flac file, should only have flac framing in it... no ogg at
all... there's actually 3 different types of flac files... "native flac",
which has nothing to do with ogg, "ogg flac classic", the original
encapsulation of flac into ogg, and "Oggflac 1.0" which is a new
encapsulation of flac in ogg.

Being in the windows world, i made my directshow filters also accept .oga
and .ogv (ie to specify audio or video), since many things in windows are
based on file extensions... one notable thing that's relevant is WMP's media
library, to classify a file as going in the audio or video section requires
a file extension to decide.

But note... these are not accepted extensions for these files... nor is this
recommended by xiph.

If you look back in the mailing list and meeting minutes, i'm sure you'll
find many long discussions of such things. on one side the file extension
people, on the other the "file magic" people.

Zen.