[Theora] Playback too slow?!

Ivan Popov pin at medic.chalmers.se
Mon Mar 28 23:21:07 PST 2005

Hi Ole,

you may want to try mplayer.theora-mmx from konvalo.org
(see http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/theora-dev/2005-March/002742.html)

On Tue, Mar 29, 2005 at 02:39:25AM +0200, Ole Tange wrote:
> $ ./player_example /tmp/dvd-4.theora.ogg
> Ogg logical stream 63b1a60 is Theora 1024x576 25.00 fps 4:2:0 video
> Encoded by Xiph.Org libTheora I 20040317 3 2 0
> Ogg logical stream 24d0ed52 is Vorbis 2 channel 48000 Hz audio.
> X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  141 (XVideo)
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  19 ()
>   Serial number of failed request:  19

I get similar errors if I try to play a high resolution movie
on a screen which has lower resolution (or it just coincides with
the properties of my hardware). Try the same on another hardware.

You may even test with starting a big vnc virtual screen
and running the decoder there. You will not be able to see the actual
frame rate, but at least you may be able to see the picture.

> Reading http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/theora/2005-March/000777.html it
> comes to me as a surprise that playback is that hard. I would naively
> assume that playback was much easier than encoding.

It _is_ much easier. I play movies in real time on a 800MHz Athlon,
while I encode the same data [approximately] in real time on a 3GHz P4.

> Do you have ideas for getting it to work?

To reduce the resolution is the most certain way...

Ivan