[Theora] Playback too slow?!

Ole Tange tange at tange.dk
Mon Mar 28 16:39:25 PST 2005

I tried encoding http://home.tange.dk/theora/stream.dump with
http://home.tange.dk/theora/optag-dvd 4. From that I got
http://home.tange.dk/theora/dvd-4.theora.ogg.

mplayer stream.dump works fine, but when playing the theora encoded file
on my 2 GHz computer both mplayer and xine take 85% of my CPU while X
takes the remaining 15% (i.e. 0% idle time) and the playback is no way
near smooth.

Using:

   mplayer -vo null dvd-4.theora.ogg

I get peaks around 94% CPU. I tried the player_example from -mmx but it
gave:

$ ./player_example /tmp/dvd-4.theora.ogg
Ogg logical stream 63b1a60 is Theora 1024x576 25.00 fps 4:2:0 video
Encoded by Xiph.Org libTheora I 20040317 3 2 0
Ogg logical stream 24d0ed52 is Vorbis 2 channel 48000 Hz audio.
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  141 (XVideo)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  19 ()
  Serial number of failed request:  19

Reading http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/theora/2005-March/000777.html it
comes to me as a surprise that playback is that hard. I would naively
assume that playback was much easier than encoding.

Do you have ideas for getting it to work?

/Ole