[Theora] troll or truth ?

Borphee borphee at cebridge.net
Tue Mar 22 17:48:34 PST 2005

A slightly differing opinion of VP3.1 (not 3.2, much less Theora) can be found on Doom9.org

http://www.doom9.org/codec-comparisons.htm

Back in 2002, they compared
DivX3 in the form of SBC (Smart Bitrate Control) as done in Nandub
DivX4.12
ON2 VP31 (later on called VP3)
WMV8 (Windows Media Video v8)
XviD (CVS build dated 1/25

And in this test, vp31 didn't fair too well.

Not as good as the other codecs, but of course, that would still put it far above mpeg-1.

The complete test results, including screen shots,can be downloaded from the link above.

The conclusion mentions vp3 only briefly, saying:

***
We can clearly see that neither VP3 nor WMV8 can quite keep up with the other two codecs. If I had to decide between these two I'd chose VP3. Not only is it open source, it's also faster and I liked its quality slightly better.
***

Not a strong endorsement, but still above anything mpeg-1 can acomplish.

Of course, everybody has differeing opinions on lossy codecs.  Some prefer blurring, some prefer blocky, and so on.