[Theora] troll or truth ?

Maik Merten maikmerten at gmx.net
Tue Mar 22 16:31:01 PST 2005

Ole Tange wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Maik Merten wrote:
>>a) Xiph never claimed that Theora is patent-free. It is not patent free.
>

> So the quote: "Virtually every single patented algorithm used in mpeg*
> codecs is also used in theora." is correct.

It's not that easy. Theora and MPEG-x are different enough to make MPEG
patents not automatically apply to Theora.

>>b) VP3 performs much better than MPEG 1. I don't know where people get
>>those strange ideas that VP3 is only comparable to MPEG 1.
>

> Please back up this with facts. E.g tests showing otherwise.

Oh, the c't (Magazin für Computertechnik, the most renowned computer
magazine in Germany) had a video-codec test in 2003 (introduction at
http://www.heise.de/ct/03/10/146/default.shtml , PDF version available
for money). They tested:

- Windows Media Video 9
- DivX 5.0.4
- RealVideo 9
- Sorenson Video 3.1
- VP3.2.5.0
- and pre-1.0 XviD

They were very pleased with the results produced by VP3, even
outperforming DivX according to their analysis (they seem to hate blocky
artifacts). Too bad the results are not online (I do have the printed
edition) - they said they are looking forward to Theora.

Even when you disagree with their conclusion (rating VP3 very high) this
makes the "VP3 is not better than MPEG 1" statement look rather weird.

In my personal experience Theora is much better than MPEG 1. You can
believe me (but you have every right to be sceptic, of course) - or do
your own tests (which would be even better and not too difficult).

Greetings,

Maik