[Theora] VCD tracks to theora

Ivan Popov pin at medic.chalmers.se
Sun Mar 20 09:51:19 PST 2005

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 05:46:33PM +0100, Rakotomandimby (R12y) Mihamina wrote:
> Hello,
> I am looking for a way to convert VCD tracks to theora.
> I'd rather a command line tool.
> What would you suggest me?
> I already found I can do that with mplayer, by ripping to yuv and wav,
> then using the encoder_example to compress to theora, but would there be
> another better way?

You can do it comfortably with theora-encoder script,
http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/theora-dev/attachments/20050220/56754793/theora-encoder.bin
(to be gunzipped)

Note that in the script you can replace theoraenc by encoder_example,
they are mostly equivalent.

If you want an optimized and tuned encoder, I'd suggest running
theora-encoder present in konvalo.org's environment.

It uses a recent mplayer and theoraenc with an mmx-enabled libtheora
and adjusted encoding parameters.

Works on any Linux distribution, on FreeBSD and NetBSD as well.

Regards,
--
Ivan