[Theora] can't get to work windows player

Neil Morris neil at adm1.ph.man.ac.uk
Thu Jun 16 02:44:05 PDT 2005

If you actually want to build a player for the Windows platform using
cygwin or
msys/mingw and that performs very well, I'd rather go for either VLC or
MPlayer.
I've built both over the last few months and both perform very well with
ogg/theora/vorbis files and streams, though Mplayer still can't cope with
chain
multiplexed OGG Theora/Vorbis streams as produced by Ezstream. (VLC and
RealPlayer can)

The Win32 VLC binary as downloaded from the VideoLan site includes Theora
encoding and playback "out of the box", Win32 Mplayer as distributed usually
hasn't, and needs the theora lib including at compile time, but binaries
with it
included can be found on the Net, ie this site:

http://4nykey.nm.ru/bin/    (and a BIG thankyou to whoever runs it!)

carries SVN/CVS snapshot Win32 builds of theora enabled MPlayer together with
VLC and Ffmpeg2theora.

It's all not as much fun as "do it yourself" I know, but I find I've never
enough
spare time to build my own AND have the time to use the code!.

Hope this helps.
Neil.
[Landscape VoyageVideo - Ogg/Theora/Vorbis streaming via yp.peercast.org]