[Theora] Video and audio not in sync

Ivan Popov pin at medic.chalmers.se
Sat Apr 16 06:19:44 PDT 2005

On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 08:53:27AM -0400, Sal Valente wrote:
> ffmpeg2theora free.mpeg -x 320 -y 240 -o free.ogg
>
> The video looked great.  And the audio sounded great.  But they didn't
> look and sound great together.  The video was slightly faster than the
> audio, so that 10 minutes into the show, the people's mouths were moving
> a full second before the line was played, which makes the show entirely
> unwatchable.

Hi Sal,

I suppose it is the same problem as discussed in the following thread:

http://lists.xiph.org/pipermail/theora-dev/2005-March/002692.html

> I don't know if the problem is in the encoder, or in the player(s), or
> in the input file, or in my head.  I'd appreciate any suggestions
> (different software, different options, etc.)

I wonder if the following chain would help:
mpeg ->
 mencoder -> (something else than mpeg) -> theora-encoder
-> theora

That is, I might expect mencoder to account for badly synchronized
streams, which apparently neither ffmpeg2theora nor mplayer dumping
raw video (in theora-encoder) do.

Regards,
--
Ivan