[theora] Updated Vorbis & Theora plugins available for Helix & RealPlayer 10

Maik Merten maikmerten at gmx.net
Sat May 15 05:47:12 PDT 2004

John Kintree wrote:
> Is there someplace where people can download sample video files that are in
> Theora format?

AFAIK there is no such place yet. (keep in mind the bitstream is not yet
officially frozen)

> I've seen the trailer for Harry Potter and the Prisoner of
> Azkaban in both RealPlayer 10 and VP6 formats.  It looks pretty good with
> both of them at between 450 and 500 kbps.  For comparison purposes, it would
> be nice to see the same trailer in Theora format.

For a fair comparison you need a high quality version of that trailer -
transcoding something like "high quality" MPEG4 to Theora will very
likely produce undesired additional artifacts.

Some time ago I did some comparisons using VQEQ test sequences from
media.xiph.org. My personal conclusions: Theora tends to blur the image
when running out of bitrate while MPEG4 (I tested XviD) tends to produce
blocky artifacts. I do prefer blurring - but that´s only my personal
taste. However, it´s important to keep in mind that current
libtheora-encoder is still very VP3´esque and doesn´t use any of the new
format features introduced with alpha3 AFAIK.

There´s a new, experimental implementation (written from scratch)
available at

        http://svn.xiph.org/experimental/derf/theora-exp/

which implements those new features and will very likely produce
superiour results once it´s ready. (At the time being the encoder is
broken, "producing pretty horrible quality files with high bitrates")

Maik

--
EN: Every mail bigger than 35 KByte will be deleted automatically from
my mailbox. Please contact me before sending any attachments.