[Theora] hxplay versus realplay

John Kintree jkintree
Tue Jun 29 06:45:13 PDT 2004

Interesting.  I downloaded and installed both
HelixPlayer-0.4.0.187-20040615.i586.rpm and
RealPlayer-0.4.0.186-20040615.i586.rpm
on my Mandrake 10.0 system.

With hxplay, the theora sample video, Mixtape.small.ogg, played as well as it
does with mplayer 1.0pre4, which is reasonably well.  But when I tried to
watch it with realplay, the program choked and died.

Also, when I tried to watch Mixtape.small.ogg with RealPlayer 10 on Windows, I
got a message that it needed a plugin.  I clicked OK to download and install
it.  Then, I got a message that the necessary plugin could not be found.

That looks like boogers on RealNetworks.
Regards,
John