[Theora] Theora file extension

Nilesh Bansal bansal
Thu Jun 17 23:31:11 PDT 2004

<1087463776.3244.7.camel at otto.amantes>

>is a wav that contains an mp3 file a wav or an mp3 ?

>>How often do you see an MP3 file with a WAV header that has WAV extension
>>instead of MP3?
>>

>As a developer on GStreamer, I often see
>mp3-contained-in-wav/riff-header-renamed-to-mp3, which is incredibly
>broken on three different points.

Which codec is used in a media file is not that we should be discussing.
All that we need is some easy way of identifying weather a file is audio
or a video file. When i see a file on a ftp server, i should easily be able
find if its a audio or a video file. And there is _no_ solution to this
problem except to use different extensions.

A user doesn't care weather his image file is .jpg, .png or .gif and
extensions don't  serve any purpose other than human convinience.
So .png, .gif, and .jpg should be .img; .mng and some .mpg and
.wmv should be .vid; .wav, .ogg, and .mp3 should be .aud.

If main aim of extensions is just human convinience, then why not have
2 different extensions (.ogv and .oga??).