[theora] Re: xiph.org irc channels moving

ChristianHJW christian at matroska.org
Sun Sep 28 03:30:13 PDT 2003

Ralph Giles wrote:
> We're shutting down irc.xiph.org, which has hosted our official
> development and support IRC channels for the past couple of years.
> The main channels (#vorbis, #icecast, #theora, #positron) have
> moved to irc.freenode.net; please go there with your support or
> development questions.
> We'd also like to take this opportunity to refocus the channels
> on development and support. Freenode is a network for open source
> developers and their projects; please try to keep discussion
> on topic. Adiabatic and vanguardist have started a #vorbis-talk
> channel for social stuff.
> The current server will be shutdown on or before next Sunday, October 5,
> to give everyone some time to learn of the change and migrate.
>
> A number t of people have asked about the reasons behind the move.
> We've never liked running the ircd on the server that hosts the more
> critical cvs/mail/web services. The Xiph.org Foundation board made
> a decision some time ago to remove the irc server; in the intervening
> months our irc opers haven't been able to find a more suitable host.
> The move to the freenode network represents the most logical choice
> of network for our project.

You would have been more than welcome on irc.corecodec.com, which is a
dedicated IRC server, doing nothing else, and is working perfectly
stable since several months now.

Of course, i understand this may not have been an option for you,
because you are mixing up Corecodec as a multimedia community and host,
and some of the projects hosted on there.

Christian