[theora] xiph.org irc channels moving

Ralph Giles giles at xiph.org
Sat Sep 27 16:40:18 PDT 2003

Everybody,

We're shutting down irc.xiph.org, which has hosted our official
development and support IRC channels for the past couple of years.
The main channels (#vorbis, #icecast, #theora, #positron) have
moved to irc.freenode.net; please go there with your support or
development questions.

We'd also like to take this opportunity to refocus the channels
on development and support. Freenode is a network for open source
developers and their projects; please try to keep discussion
on topic. Adiabatic and vanguardist have started a #vorbis-talk
channel for social stuff.

The current server will be shutdown on or before next Sunday, October 5,
to give everyone some time to learn of the change and migrate.

A number t of people have asked about the reasons behind the move.
We've never liked running the ircd on the server that hosts the more
critical cvs/mail/web services. The Xiph.org Foundation board made
a decision some time ago to remove the irc server; in the intervening
months our irc opers haven't been able to find a more suitable host.
The move to the freenode network represents the most logical choice
of network for our project.

I'd also like to thank our opers for their work in running the xiph.org
irc network. We really appreciate your time and effort.

Cheers,
 -r