[theora] A comparison of VP3, and two MPEG-4 variants

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Mon Mar 24 11:00:18 PST 2003

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Dan Miller wrote:

> good points, but I think constant Q is pretty much the standard for
> VBR/storage type applications.  Doesn't Vorbis basically use a
> constant Q model for the most part?
>
> it's only when you have hard limits on transmission speeds that you
> need to employ rate control algorithms that vary Q over time.

Encoding with constant quantizer is almost impossible for storage if file
size has to be controlable. Even if size is allowed to vary, it's not true
that fixed quantizer means fixed quality (as you can see from PSNR plots).
Natural video with different scenes may have visual artefacts in one scene
and no artefacts in the next with same quantizer. Ratecontrol is difficult
business, and it's no wonder that most available high quality MPEG2 or
MPEG4 material is (at least) two-pass encoded.

Christoph