[theora] A comparison of VP3, and two MPEG-4 variants

Christoph Lampert chl at math.uni-bonn.de
Mon Mar 24 02:00:03 PST 2003

On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Colin Mckellar wrote:

> I recently did a test of different settings of VP3, and two MPEG-4
> variants: 3ivx, and Apple MPEG-4. My results are at the following URL.
>
> I am interested in people's thoughts, and comments on it.
>
> Colin.

Hi,

interesting indeed. But it would be more useful for others if you
could test again a standardized test set of sequences like
standard MPEG's CIF/QCIF sequences, for download e.g. at

http://delboy.ucd.ie:9997/Files/Downloads/

also, there is a mirror of VQEG sequences at

http://media.xiph.org/vqeg/TestSequences/Reference/

Unfortunately they are all interlaced, but a real challange for video
encoding routines.

Without preprocessing, scaling, cropping those ckips should give
PSNR numbers that can be compared to others codecs, e.g. from DivX and
XviD or ffmpeg.
If there isn't a possibility to encode raw YUV or RGB with quicktime
codecs, you really should create one. I can't think of developing a codec
without it.

Christoph

--
Christoph H. Lampert chl at math,uni-bonn,de | Diese Signature ist maschinell
Beringstr. 6, Zi. 15, 53115 Bonn, Germany | erstellt und auch ohne Unter-