[theora] Current state of theora & Windows port?

Philip Jägenstedt philipj at telia.com
Wed Jul 16 15:12:59 PDT 2003

<DISCLAIMER>
I am not a theora developer or in any way associated to
Xiph. I just listen to this mailing-list.
</DISCLAIMER>

On 17 Jul 2003 00:01:23 +0200
Markus Meyer <meyer at mesw.de> wrote:

> 4. I understand that Theora is alpha-quality only, but because we
> basically bundle the player with the content and have great control
> about how the user uses the software I believe we could still get it to
> work _now_. Right or wrong?

alpha-quality doesn't only mean that all the features aren't in place,
but also that more bug are. If you don't want your software to behave
oddly, it'd probably be wise to at least wait until a beta.

Also, theora is largely unoptimzed at the moment, which means it is slow
to encode and heavy on the CPU to decode. You'd probably get away with
nothing less then a GHz for moderately sized video at "normal" bitrate.
As I understands, there are optimizations for VP3 which can and probably
will be worked into theora at some times, but as you understand, getting
the bitstream fixed (as in frozen) and stable is much more important
right now.

Hope that helps.
  // Philip Jägenstedt