[theora] Current state of theora & Windows port?

Markus Meyer meyer at mesw.de
Wed Jul 16 15:01:23 PDT 2003

Hello everyone,

I'm developing software for a marketing company which creates multimedia
presentations. We're currently using proprietary Windows software, but
are looking for a royalty-free cross-platform solution. It's important
that the solution is royalty- and patent-free because the presentations
are copied and given out in large quantities for free (as in beer ;-)

We are looking for a good cross-platform solution to play back audio and
video.

I have the following questions:

1. What is the overall status of the project? Is there anything I should
know about the status of the current CVS HEAD? Is the deadline (end of
2003) still reasonable and what will be finished until then?

2. Is the compression of Theora roughly comparable to MPEG4? Quality
doesn't matter so much, but size is quite limited.

3. How difficult to you think would be a Windows port and how long would
it take? Is anyone working on this already? (FYI I have 6+ years
experience in Windows C++ programming and have just recently coded some
small Linux Apps). Of course, all changes would be contributed back.

4. I understand that Theora is alpha-quality only, but because we
basically bundle the player with the content and have great control
about how the user uses the software I believe we could still get it to
work _now_. Right or wrong?

Looking forward to your answer.