[theora] Current state of theora & Windows port?

Markus Meyer meyer at mesw.de
Wed Jul 16 17:08:13 PDT 2003

Freun and Philip,

many thanks for you answer.

> If you need something right _NOW_ then use vp32.  Or Nullsoft's NSV, which
> is based on the vp32 codec.

Looking at the CVS, vp32 looks fine for now, though I hope it delivers
reasonable quality. Btw, is there any additional documentation? I looked
at the docs in "vp32/Include/vfw_PB_Interface.h" (we want to interface
with the codec directly rather than using the Win32 DirectX/Media Player
interface), but it is very little documented.

Please let me know if you have a sample program (doesn't really matter
which platform) or any suggestion other than "look at the XINE source"
;-)

> Theora isn't ready for prime time and probably wont be for quite a while.
> End of the year at the earliest, unless something changes drastically.  I
> haven't been keeping track on the details, but they are running a bit late.
> Probably got distracted by something more important of some sort.  (Jobs to
> pay the rent, etc...)

Okay, sounds familiar to me. Anyways, I'll continue to watch this list.

Thanks again.