[theora] Quality of vp3.2 codec?

Jim Barnes tojimbarnes at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 11 23:13:37 PST 2002

If you do not know the difference between the format results you need to do
some comparison tests then.

I have a DV 8 minute piece that I convert with most new codecs it shows up
all sorts of artifacting from video compression.

This file is About 1.4Gb.

I converted  it to MPEG 2 and it made a file that was full PAL format and
about 270 MB in size.
I converted it to MPEG1 at QCIF or a quarter of the frame resolution and the
result was afile about 80Mb in size
I converted it to Quicktime using Sorensen and got a file about twice this
size 160MB at the same frame size as the MPEG 1

I then ran the MPEG 1 through VP3 and got a file of 17MB

all of these used an audio of MPEG3 at 128k

I used the Lame MP3 encoder and Video Studio Pro 6 to make the files

Quality wise there was little difference between the MPEG 1 and the VP3
footage

So you ask what is the point.

Small file size high quality video footage that can be played back on PC and
MAC
By adjusting the parameters of the codec it is possible to get high quality
streaming footage that will play over broadband

As to Reals Helix or Windows Media 9 or Divx 5.02 they all show far more
artifacting and have larger file sizes than VP3

Hope this helps