[theora] Closed Captioning

Joe Straitiff josephs at agames.com
Wed Dec 4 17:46:28 PST 2002

Also, I think the NTSC standard was that 7 frames of delay was "acceptable."
Although if you consider every device in the chain (encoder, muxer,
transmitter, decoder) it adds up to a HUGE possible delay.  This is just
taken as unavoidable...  However, there is some mechanism for delaying the
display of on-screen test to take advantage of empty space (and "catch-up")
when using pop-on or paint-on.

This same type of "render it NOW" mentality is in the DTVCC (708) spec, even
though they define a 128 char buffer.  I wish they would have used the clock
signal in the mpeg2 stream and had a sync primitive.

-Joe