[theora] Closed Captioning

Ralph Giles zen6669 at zen.co.uk
Wed Dec 4 17:37:09 PST 2002

On Wednesday, December 4, 2002, at 08:23  pm, David Siebert wrote:

> Accumulating lines is not a great option a delay could be a killer.
> Suppose that you are doing a newscast and the delay some how has
> captions talking about a child molester being arrested when there is a
> picture of the Pope on the screen? Or the captions for a tampon ad
> showing up with the video of a cookie ad? It has to sync with the
> video.

Advertisements will (and are currently) already be transcribed and just
spliced into the stream, no?

For live transcription I'm not convinced the delay would be unworkable.
How much does the steganographer introduce? There will be some encoding
delay too, a clever encoder could take advantage of that by inserting
the text at the very last minute.

 From the point of view of theora, the issue is mostly designing
something that can decode parts of a line at a time but be robust
against packet loss. Complicates things somewhat.

  -r