[theora-dev] optimization of theora contract job

Todd Weaver todd at ivi.tv
Mon Nov 15 15:01:12 PST 2010

Theora-devs:

I am in seek of a theora (but possibly vorbis/ogg/ffmpeg) dev to optimize the encoding in a realtime software product.

We do live encoding and transcode into ogg/theora/vorbis at various resolutions and frame rates. The higher resolutions cannot process in realtime and we are pushing the boundaries of hardware (cpu) encoding with the existing theora/ffmpeg.

Right now we have to downsample 1080 to 480 before we can transcode, so it becomes a two-step ffmpeg process to get a 480 ogg/theora/vorbis done in realtime:

One proc:
   ffmpeg -deinterlace -sws_flags bilinear -i - -vcodec mpeg2video -f mpegts -vb 3000000 -s 852x480 -acodec copy -v 0 -async 2 -croptop 5 -padtop 5 -padcolor 000000 -

Another proc:
   ffmpeg -sws_flags bilinear -i - -vcodec libtheora -f ogg -vb 704000 -r 14.00 -s 852x480 -aspect 16:9 -acodec libvorbis -ar 44100 -ac 2 -ab 64000 -v 0 -async 2 -

This would be a contract job hourly starting within a week, and would likely turn into an ongoing relationship for contracted work, as we will continue to push the envelope, starting with 480p, then 720p, and hopefully 1080p.

Please provide an approach to optimizing, hourly rate, and availability.

Thanks so much!

P.S. (I asked if it was appropriate to post a job on this mailing list from #theora irc, and got the nod that it was ok.)

Todd Weaver
todd at ivi.tv