[theora-dev] do Sintel make bad image for theora?

Jason Garrett-Glaser darkshikari at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 22:34:57 PST 2010

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 1:40 PM, Alexey Fisher
<bug-track at fisher-privat.net> wrote:
> Hallo all,
> there is sintel online premiere up today http://www.sintel.org/ . But
> oggtheora video is every thing but not gut. I downloaded 720p version
> but IMHO some times it looks  for me like scaled 480p. In my experience
> theora can do better, or em i wrong?
>
> strings Sintel.2010.720p.Theora-VODO give me fallowing:
> ENCODER=ffmpeg2theora-0.24
> Xiph.Org libtheora 1.1 20090822 (Thusnelda)

The sections of the images you're complaining about are primarily
low-complexity flat areas.  These will not look good without either
tons of bitrate or variance-adaptive quantization.

Fortunately the latter has been in Theora 1.2 for quite some time.

Dark Shikari